Growing and Learning
Your little one is growing up so fast! At 17 weeks old, your baby is becoming more active and aware of their surroundings. They are starting to reach out and grab objects, and may even be able to sit up with support. One of the most exciting things to see at this age is your baby’s growing personality. They are likely smiling and laughing more, and may even start to show signs of shyness or stranger anxiety. These are all normal parts of development, and it’s important to give your baby plenty of love and support as they navigate these new emotions.
Milestones to Watch For
At 17 weeks, your baby is hitting some important developmental milestones. Here are a few things to watch for:
- Rolling over: Your baby may start to roll over from back to tummy or vice versa.
- Grabbing: Your baby will start to explore their surroundings by grabbing and reaching for objects.
- Sitting up with support: Your baby may start to sit up with a little help from you or a support pillow.
- Babbling: Your baby will start to make more sounds and may even start to babble.
- Recognizing faces: Your baby will start to recognize familiar faces and may show signs of stranger anxiety.
Activities to Encourage Development
There are plenty of activities you can do with your 17 week old baby to encourage their development. Here are a few ideas:
- Tummy time: Encourage your baby to spend time on their tummy to help strengthen their neck and shoulder muscles.
- Reading: Read books to your baby and point out pictures to help them learn about the world around them.
- Playtime: Give your baby plenty of opportunities to explore their environment and practice their new skills, like reaching and grabbing.
- Talking: Talk to your baby and respond to their babbles to help encourage language development.
- Singing: Sing songs to your baby to help soothe them and encourage their love of music.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much should my 17 week old baby be eating?
Every baby is different, but most 17 week olds are eating around 4-6 ounces of formula or breastmilk at each feeding, with 4-6 feedings per day.
Is it okay if my 17 week old baby isn’t rolling over yet?
Yes, every baby develops at their own pace. While most babies start to roll over around this age, some may take a little longer. Continue to encourage tummy time and other activities that promote strength and mobility.
When should I start introducing solid foods to my 17 week old?
Most pediatricians recommend waiting until your baby is around 6 months old before starting solid foods. Talk to your pediatrician to determine the best time to start for your baby.
How can I help my 17 week old with teething discomfort?
Your baby may start to show signs of teething around this age. To help soothe their discomfort, you can offer them a cool teething toy, gently massage their gums, or give them a dose of infant pain reliever (with your pediatrician’s approval).
When should I start sleep training my 17 week old?
Every baby is different, but most pediatricians recommend waiting until your baby is around 4-6 months old before starting sleep training. Talk to your pediatrician to determine the best time to start for your baby.Remember, every baby develops at their own pace, so don’t worry if your little one isn’t hitting every milestone exactly on schedule. Just keep providing plenty of love and support as they continue to grow and learn.
Related video of 17 Week Old Baby Development: Milestones, Growth, and Activities